The Jen School is an opportunity for students requiring a different approach to educational and vocational programming. The Jen School strives to provide students with an authentic and experiential learning experience. Our curriculum integrates academics and vocational training in a mediated learning environment utilizing hands-on and cooperative learning instructional strategies.
The Jen School is a fully approved ISBE Nonpublic Facility serving male students, grades 6-12+, and female students, grades 9-12+, with the following disabilities: Emotional Disabilities, Intellectual Disabilities, Specific Learning Disabilities, Other Health Impairment, Autism, and Multiple Disabilities.
The Jen School offers students the opportunity to learn the skills they will need when transitioning to the adult world. In addition to the intensive academics and vocational training, students also work on social emotional development, effective communication skills and self evaluation. The Jen School philosophy is grounded in developing respectful and reciprocal relationships between students and teachers within their shared learning environment.
We believe the Jen School is a unique opportunity for students that have not been successful in any other educational setting. The intensive academic and vocational programming, along with the extended school year programming, affords students the opportunity to accelerate their credit earning potential towards obtaining a high school diploma. We believe the integration of academic instruction and vocational programming focused on transitioning towards adult independence can serve as the means to reconnect, otherwise disconnected, students with their education.
We are excited to begin working with you and your students in the very near future. If you have any questions about the Jen School, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
What makes Jen Unique?
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Project Based delivery model with emphasis
- Field trips and community based learning activities integrated into curriculum
- Curriculum / IEP’s aligned to ISBE Common Core standards
- 21st Century technology integrated into the classrooms, Chrome books, computer labs, Including a 3D printer computer lab
- Push In Model
- Social worker/School counselor integrated into every classroom
- Each classroom team consists of a Special Education Teacher, Social Worker/School Counselor and a Paraprofessional.
- Related services
- School Psychologist
- Speech & Language
- Nursing services
- Enrichment Programs
- CAAEL-Chicago Area Alternative Education League
- Pet Therapy
- Team Building, “Challenge by Choice” field trips and activities.
- Garden and Green house
- Art Extravaganza program
- All school events/ student service learning opportunities
- Student recognition programs
“The culture at Jen School is one that rivals any, a culture of community. For many of our staff and students, Jen School serves as a second family.”
Clarissa J. Thompson – Jen School Social worker